Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Big Mouth and Ugly Girl by Joyce Carol Oates


I haven't written in a while (I'm lazy)... but now I am! So yay for that.


Big Mouth and Ugly Girl by Joyce Carol Oates


Review: 4 stars

Genre: teen


Matt is a jokester. He always makes his friends laugh and he talks a lot. So why is he being arrested for saying he was going to blow up the school?


Ursula an her alter ego Ugly Girl are tough. She doesn't care what anyone says about her and she likes being different. And she knows that Matt is being falsely accused.


When everyone else turns their back on Matt when he is accused of a crime he didn't commit, Ursula comes forward to help although she is not friends with him. With many twists and turns an unlikely friendship evolves between Matt and Ursula.


Its really hard to describe this book... just when you think its over, the plot thickens. Matt is falsely accused but then alienated by his peers and nothing goes back to how it was beforehand, like he thought it would. Its a hard book to descrbie because so much happens in a short time span. Joyce Carol Oates is a great writer. I immensly enjoy her style of writing. Ursula's alter ego is a very interesting aspect of the book. You can see what Ursula really thinks and what she wants herself to think. The books quirky but fun.


I also recommend Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates-- its also really great!

4 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I enjoyed this one too! I read it a while back, so it's not reviewed on my blog.

Anonymous said...

We had this book at my school. I was tempted to take it out, but was then, like, "Nahhh."

Maybe I should have taken it out. XD

Great review, as always. Stop by my blog, I'm having a contest!

Liviania said...

I love this book! Now I kind of want to reread it . . .

I'm having a contest right now - you should enter. ^_~

Sadako said...

I have to check this one out. I love Joyce Carol Oates--I really liked her book My Sister, My Love. So as soon as I saw who this was by, I knew I had to read it. I'm going to look for it at the 'brary soon.